Wednesday, December 26, 2012

May The Light Of Your Ancestors Shine Down Upon You

My favorite answer when someone asks me "what" I am (why do Americans always want to be from somewhere??), is "I'm American by God!" But in all actually I have grandparents on both sides of the family that are Irish and Scottish. Because of that and because I find these traditional verses beautiful, I want to share two Christmas blessings with you all.

"The light of the Christmas star to you, 
The warmth of home and hearth to you, 
The cheer and good will of friends to you, 
The hope of a childlike heart to you, 
The joy of a thousand angels to you, 
The love of the Son and God's peace to you."
 Irish Christmas Blessing



"May God shower joy upon us, my dear family, 
Christmas brings us all good things. 
God give us grace to see the New Year; 
And if we do not increase in numbers 
May we at all events not decrease." 
Scottish Christmas Blessing 

Aren't they lovely? Does your family have any traditional blessings that they say during the holidays? And if so, what are they? 

xo xo Liz 


No comments:

Post a Comment