You know dear readers, I had a thought:
I concentrate so much here on Buckaroo Barbie on our strength of will, trying the very hardest that we can, giving 120% of our efforts, remaining positive and never giving up, that I think sometimes I forget that it’s OK to have an off day. And if I forget, well then, maybe you do too.
We won’t always feel on top of the world and some days our goals and To-do lists won’t inspire us, they’ll overwhelm us.
AND THAT’S OK.
Tar Babies and Tears
It’s all right to have a slow day, a time of sluggishness and a season of just blahs. Some days you’re going to want to stay on the couch, eat bon-bons and watch Keeping Up With The Kardashians and maybe even cry…and giving yourself permission to do that, will only bring your inspiration and motivation back faster! It doesn’t make you any less of the wonder woman you are to have an off day, it makes you human! If you berate yourself during your time of the BLAHS you make yourself feel worse, and less like a functioning human and more like a pile of tar!! I don’t know that anyone in history has actually ever felt like a pile of tar, but for some reason I can’t stop thinking about Briar Rabbit and the Tar Baby this morning…so there you go. Deal with my weirdness people!
What To Do??
But back to having an off day, sometimes that’s our body way of telling our mind that we need a little break. Our emotional health is closely tied to our physical well-being, and vice-versa. If your mind needs some time to veg out, and your body needs a little extra TLC after all the hard work you’ve being doing, then take that little mental vacation and enjoy it! In my experience by the next day I’m rested, my batteries are charged and I’m raring to take on the world!
Buckaroo Barbie’s List of Things To Do When You Have A Case of the Blues
· Keep a folder of pictures you find beautiful, inspiring and lovely. I save pics from my Tumblr explorations.
· Fill up a hot water bottle, make a fire or turn on a heating pad and snuggle up! Get cozy!
· Take a nap.
· Go ahead and have a little cry.
· Write in your journal or diary and just let it all out. If you don’t have one, now is the perfect time to start!
· Watch sappy, corny movies. Or obnoxious reality TV shows if you have TV. I don’t normally condone reality shows, but when I have a bad day sometimes the only thing I want to watch is Keeping Up With The Kardashians, Say Yes To The Dress and America’s Next Top Model. So bad, yet so good.
· Drink epic amounts of hot tea, hot coffee (unless iced is your thang and you live somewhere near to where you can go to a fancy-smanshy coffee shop) or hot chocolate.
· Go shopping. Save your receipts!
· Read your favorite book.
· Take a bath, wallow in the hot water and don’t get out until you’re pruney.
· Take a nap. Or even better, take several.
What NOT To Do
There are some things that you definitely should NOT do when you’re having a mopey, bluesy day.
Buckaroo Barbie’s List of Things NOT To Do When You Have A Case Of The Blues
· Do NOT tell yourself you’re a failure, you never get anything accomplished or any kind of negative self-talk of any kind.
· Don’t listen to Bob Dylan.
· Don’t discuss important decisions or business plans with family or business partners. It has disaster written all over it.
· Don’t play the “what-if” game.
· Don’t go shopping.
· Don’t talk to people who you know are always negative about their life, it’ll make you feel worse.
· Don’t ignore your exercise, even if it’s only 10 jumping jacks!
· Don’t forget it will get better and there is always hope, no matter how you feel right now.
So the next time you have a mopey, rotten day come up, look it squarely in the face…and go take a nap.
xo xo Liz
Photos via Tumblr and author's personal collection
PS: Adrian wrote something very similar and along the same train this morning, and neither of us knew what the other person was writing about! HAHAHA! So go check Adrian’s post out! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adrian-Buckaroogirl/280524162956
PPS: I’ve started a weekly Quote of the Week and posted the first quote this morning! Check it out here!