Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Walking The Line Back To You


Take a deep breath, it’s going to be OK.
Calm.
What’s the first thing that comes to mind?
Happy smiles.
Hot pink and tan skin.
Sun and wind dried sheets that iron out easily.
A clean, but messy home that is loved in everyday.
Grandma’s sandwich bread rising in my big, wooden bowl.
Teaching myself to can jam and pickles.
Learning to sew long sleeved shirts, the first of many.
Dry and chapped hands with glistening red nails and an engraved silver band.
Coffee kisses early in the morning
You, laughing hard with your head thrown back, strong white teeth glinting, making me laugh harder at you.
My fist levi quilt covering the bed.

Peace is settling in now.

Turquoise headbands
Family imperfect…but family nonetheless.
Steaks grilled and served with a whiskey-cream sauce.
Walking the line back to you.
Nights out on the town, skinny girls dancing, my drink glowing neon
Good morning beautiful texts
Pretty boots with a good heel.
Little kids in cowboy hats too big for them.
Inside sayings that only the two of you understand.
Bony shoulders under huge hoodies.
Realizing
With a start
That I am the girl in my day dreams. 

xo xo Liz 

No comments:

Post a Comment