Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Afternoon Sunshine


I wore my thick socks with the enforced toe and heel that I usually reserve for hunting or fishing or long hikes…anything really that is going to be a Long Day.

The day was blustery and chill though, so I pulled them up and over my jean legs; a prayer and an indulgence knitted together in thick wool.

The dogs don’t want to come inside and I don’t blame them. It’s cold but the sun is shining and sheltered here behind the house the wind is more friendly than it is sharp.
I pick my way around the overgrown jasmine bushes and as I step onto the back deck, Bill raises his head and stares at me hopefully. He wants to continue to lay there in that perfect spot, shivery thin skin that he is, cradled in an embrace of sun warmed rock wall and wood planks. He will be the first to heave to his feet and come in if I say so though.

I don’t.

Instead I lay down, gloriously spread eagle, and close my eyes. It reminds me of a day I lay down on the diamond flatbed in watery winter sunlight and fell asleep as my boss wrangled horses and yelled futilely for my assistance.  A furry body flings itself next to mine and I smile at the thought of these domesticated little wolves, armed with teeth strong enough to remove fingers from hands if they wished, but instead I can feel joy pumping from their heart through their tail into me.

Just by being here.
Present in this moment.
A simple moment in time that is nothing more than a woman breaking her own rule of walking outside in socks, and laying on the ground and napping with her dogs. In memory though, it will be tinged with the warm colored tones we bestow upon Good Moments in our mind’s archive.

Here is to welcoming more simple moments and declaring them glorious. And welcome back, friends, new and old. I’ve missed you.







No comments:

Post a Comment