Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Goblins and Pirates and Dogs, OH MY!!!



A girlfriend of mine texted me the other day. “Do you think you and Adrian could do a young reader's recommendation post? I can’t remember all of the books you guys suggested for my daughter.” I'd been enthusiastically bombarding my friend with title ideas for her 10 year old daughter, and...Um, yes!! I can’t think of anything we’d rather do than talk about books….unless it’s riding our horses while talking about books. And maybe food and fashion…but that’s fodder for another post!

Adrian and I LOVE to read. My mums read to me when I was very small, I read to Adrian when she was very small, and we all read together as a family out loud. I will always treasure those memories.
And if your children have the ability to read well and enjoy it, they will have the ability to educate themselves throughout adulthood.

Children will not want to read if they're not raised in an environment where books are easily accessible. Do you read? No? Then being sent off to their bedroom or the living room to read is going to feel like a punishment rather than an exciting privilege. If, on the other hand, there are books scattered and stacked about the house and they see you reading for pleasure and the purpose of learning more in your life, they will naturally want to read just like mommy!

Adrian and I read quite a few books that were above our understanding or age bracket growing up, but we were able to follow along because we read them out loud as a family and our parents were able to explain things as we went along.

That's another really good method to monitor what your little takes in without being perceived as controlling; reading out loud together. That way it's pretty easy to skip over parts that are inappropriate for their age at the time.

Just because your little can't talk yet doesn't mean that they can't understand or appreciate you reading to them! So read, read, read to your children, your siblings, and your friends until you just can't read anymore! It will change their life! 

Knee Height Or Taller Age Bracket (5 years old and up???)




















The Dear America Series, particularly The Girl Who Chased Away Sorrow, Across the Wide and Lonesome Praire, My Heart Is On the Ground, West to a Land of Plenty, So Far From Home, and A Line in the Sand. 


Enjoy!! We'd love to hear which books you end up reading and what you thought of them! 


xo xo Liz & Adrian 


No comments:

Post a Comment