Saturday, June 28, 2014

The Cowboygirl's Guide to Summer Skin



In the last 4 weeks I have probably sweated more than I ever have in my entire life. I mean, I’ve ridden in heat before…but the mornings in Nevada start chilly and end cool. Here in Kern County where I’m hanging out for the summer, it’s just a whole different level of hot. And the natives keep warning me that I haven’t seen nothin yet, and will want to die at some point. Great. BUT, thanks to the heat I’ve had to change my skincare routine so I don’t totally break out, and this is the best my skin has ever been in the summer time!


Here’s a quick CowboyGirl’s Guide to Summer Skin! I included some links from Amazon in case you live way out in the brush and won't have a chance to do a big "town" shop in the near future! 


Set A Foundation of Health

Help your skin out Eat organic, non-preservative food as much as possible and drink at least 64 ounces (1 gallon is optimum) of water every day. Yes, you’ll have to pee all the time but it will help the appearance of your skin immensely. Most people are dehydrated throughout the day and don’t even realize it. Drinking enough water will help the appearance of your pores and as a bonus, can even aid weight loss. It definitely cuts out bloat, especially around your tummy.

Get Enough Exercise I don’t mean going to your gym and checking in so you can post it on Facebook. Get your heart rate up and SWEAT!!! Lift weights, run, bike, climb, do yoga, box…whatever makes you happy but you need to do something even if you work outside all day. Lifting heavy weights burns major calories throughout the entire day even after your workout has ended. Plus, it diminishes cellulite. Mine is almost completely gone since I started working out again….WHOOP WHOOP!!


The Fun Stuff….Products!





SKINCARE

I’m probably the laziest person in the world when it comes to my skin care, so if I’m tired or just bored, or Venus isn’t in line with Mars, you can almost bet I’m not gonna wash my face at the end of the night, which we all know is a big “no-no.” Then I discovered Nurture Me Cleansing Cloths. They’re perfect. I just keep them by my bed and use one to wipe off any makeup that’s left over at the end of the day, and I think that’s made a huge difference in the appearance of my skin.


I also use Neutrogena’s Oil-Free Acne Wash whenever I’m in the shower. It’s a gentle scrub and I use it on my arms and shoulders as well as my face to help bring out that smooth skin if I wear a tank top.




MAKEUP

Yes, I wear makeup in the summertime, and when I ride. I feel like it’s just another layer between me and the sun, and most of the older gals I know that have amazing skin always wear makeup when they cowboy. To each their own, but that’s just what works for me!

I have oily skin, and I started wearing liquid foundation when I got Lyme disease because I was always so pale and I felt like my skin was kind of “BLAH.” For some reason I kept wearing the heavy foundation even as I got healthier….UNTIL that is, I got here to Kern County. It’s too darn hot to wear heavy foundation and it’s greasy and sweaty and makes you break out. At the advice of my friend, I started wearing bareMinerals Matte powder AND IT’S AMAZING!! I don’t have an oily face at the end of the day, and it doesn’t feel like you’re wearing anything. If you live in a hot part of the country, I HIGHLY recommend trying bareMinerals out! I haven’t had a break out since I started using it, not even at “That time of the month!”


My non-oily face is also probably thanks to the Murad Oil-Control Mattifier I started using. It’s a moisturizer with SPF 15 and EVERYBODY needs to use a moisturizer, even oily-prone people. This mattifier almost reminds me of a primer as well, your skin feels incredibly smooth afterwards.




I have been wearing Kat Von D’s Immortal Lash mascara, which is my new favorite because it doesn’t smear even though it’s not waterproof AND it comes off super easily. Winning!!



What’s your summer skincare routine??

xo xo Liz



No comments:

Post a Comment