Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Interview | Lori Campbell



We met Lori Campbell at a ladies bronc ride in Amarillo, Texas a few years ago. Adrian was getting on a bronc and opening for the Josh Abbott band and we were both a little nervous about being perceived as “flat-hatters” down there. We walked into the building where they were checking all of the bronc rider’s saddles and gear, and before we knew it we were deep in conversation with the tiniest, merriest of women I’ve ever met. Lori is a wife, mother, bronc rider and lady.

I have the upmost respect for her, not only as a cowboy-girl but as a woman, and if I ever have a daughter, I hope she turns out like Lori.



What makes home home is…. I have always enjoyed traveling, so I think that home really is anywhere you throw out your bedroll. It’s all about the people you wake up to.


If I could achieve anything in the world it would be… I’d like to become the woman, wife, and mother that God created me to be.  That, and, just once, I’d like for someone to see my house perfectly clean.


The one piece of advice I would give to women who are interested in the cowboy/western world is… Aim to be a lady that’s respected in your trade. Forget about trying to be “just one of the guys.” You can’t beat a man at being a man. 




My most prized possession is…. My most prized possession would have to be my wedding ring, because of the vows it represents. A close second would be my custom-made JW Wright using saddle, because, let’s face it, a cowgirl needs her saddle.


As a kid I was always… As a kid, I was always “training” on something; horses, dogs, bottle calves- anything we had around.


My favorite non-western activity is… running. I love everything about motion.  I can absolutely relate to a horse’s fear of  being confined.




I knew I was on the right track in life when…things started being less about me, and more about others.  When the dust settles at the end of the day, my most important job is still RanchWife and Mom. There’s a quote I love from May Lillie, wife of Pawnee Bill, in which she asks, “Why is it so easy to win the applause of multitudes and so hard to just be a mother?”


My ideal day would include… horses, ropes, kids, and cattle.


My favorite cocktail is.… Does coffee qualify as a cocktail?




If I could be friends with anyone in the world, dead or alive, it would be…. my husband, Jeremiah. He is my toughest critic, best encourager, most patient coach, and absolutely my very best friend.


My favorite beauty product is… perfume. Just because you work like a man, doesn’t mean you have to smell like one!


My ability to cowboy all day without smearing my mascara…is what makes me a Buckaroo Barbie!




6 comments:

  1. This is a great quote and so true:
    "The one piece of advice I would give to women who are interested in the cowboy/western world is… Aim to be a lady that’s respected in your trade. Forget about trying to be “just one of the guys.” You can’t beat a man at being a man".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Anon!! Lori is a true lady and such an inspiration! We feel so lucky to have had her on the blog! :)

      Delete
    2. I reposted that quote on my FB page and received over 40 responses from folks! I had friends in law enforcement, the medical field, firefighting and ranching all respond with 'that's so true!' and share their own stories. It was a great conversation starter for both women AND men alike that I know. Thank you for the interview!!!

      Delete
    3. Holy cow that is so cool! Her responses have really made me examine myself and I've seen a bunch of people post it on Twitter and Facebook too...so cool! Thank you for reading! Hugs!

      Delete
  2. Lori is one of the most genuine ladies you will ever know! She is a wonderful Christian woman and it shows in all that she does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her advice "Aim to be a lady that’s respected in your trade. Forget about trying to be “just one of the guys.” You can’t beat a man at being a man." and I have often wondered myself “Why is it so easy to win the applause of multitudes and so hard to just be a mother?”. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete