Friday, August 16, 2013

Social Media and the Great Outdoors

Hello dear readers!!!

You might have noticed my conspicuous absence the last week or so. I was off doing an amazing thing….are you ready to hear what it was?

I took a little social media break. I say “little” because I couldn’t stop looking at my Instagram (I know, it’s a problem), but for the last week I haven’t checked my email, my Facebook or this blog.

It felt GREAT!!

You have probably read some articles, like I had, on the benefits of taking a short break from all the “white noise” that surrounds us every day. IE: Facebook, Instagram, email, our smartphones, twitter, and heaven knows what else there is to distract us from real life.

I had poo-pooed the idea of taking a week-long break because how would someone who worked from home actually make that work?

The answer?

It just does.

I finally checked my email this evening and I have several hundred messages waiting in my inbox and the thing is, not one of them is do or die urgent. It is OK.

I heartily encourage you to take a block of time that works for you and ignore all the distractions the world is shouting at you. A week might not be sensible for you, maybe you can make a long weekend work or maybe just a day….but whatever time you can make free, please give this a shot!

Go outside and just listen to the birds. Play with your children. Read a book out loud with your family. Go for a hike. LIVE. Be still and LISTEN to the world and the people around you. 

At the end of our lives we will remember with fondness the memories we made while actively LIVING in the world, and not the Facebook “likes” we received on a posting.

Beautiful Lady Bug Canyon, Los Padres National Forest 



xo xo Liz


2 comments:

  1. What an awesome assignment to give yourself! We keep talking about doing this,but always find a reason not to (job search, family calling, etc.) Maybe it is high time we stopped making excuses. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand!! That's what I kept doing and then I finally turned it off, it felt amazing!! Thank you, you too!! Hugs! :)

      Delete