1. Don’t pretend to be anything you’re not.
2. Treat your body and health like a precious jewel. Eat food as close to its natural form as possible and work out HARD at least 3 times a week.
3. Get enough sleep, at least 7-8 hours a night.
4. Attach yourself to the handiest person you know and copy the hell out of them. They may not be the most vocal, or the most talkative person on the crew, but if they’re respected for their integrity and skills, spend time with that person and tell them you want help. You’ll learn a lot.
5. Have some sort of passion in your life that sets your blood on fire, makes you to want to be better….something that makes you CARE.
6. Learn to handle stress. I used to laugh at the idea of stress, but it’s really damaging to your health. Try deep breathing, meditation, or sweating it out of your system.
7. Dink lots of water.
8. Be able to say “I’m sorry.” Not, “I’m sorry you feel that way” or “I’m sorry you took it that way,” but an actual, “I messed up, it was my fault so I’m sorry!” sorry!
9. Take pride in yourself. Keep your body, hair and clothes clean. Your horses trimmed and shod, their manes and tails brushed out. Your gear repaired and clean. The oil changed in your truck and your tires rotated.
10. Live your life to the fullest, it’s your story to the world. And what is the point of a full life if you can’t pass on what you’ve learned to someone else?
xo xo Liz