Wednesday, January 9, 2013

How To Hair: Vintage Roll Updo

So I've been threatening to post this for a while now, and finally got Adrian to take the pictures today!

I decided to make mine really messy, kind of "medievalish" today, but it's really easy to make it clean and neat looking, so if you're not into the messy look, don't worry it doesn't have to be this way!

Without further ado, here is a step by step, how to do a vintage roll updo!

All you need is:
HAIR
A brush
Bobby pins.

Start with your hair brushed out and tangle free. Or if you don't feel like it, don't worry, I didn't either so I left my hair like this:


Get the top of your hair under control at least and brush back your part if you have one:


Make a ponytail but don't add an elastic:


Fold the long part of your ponytail on top of itself and hold the ends with your other hand:


Do it again:


Now you just start rolling and pinning! The first couple of times I did this I was nervous about it slipping out before I could pin it, but it's ok! Just keep tucking and rolling and go back and pin it once the main part is secure! 





If you have a lot of hair like me, you're going to need a lot of pins:


Don't be afraid to grab your roll and smash it into submission, like I am here:
RAWR


I left mine messy. I kind of like it this way:




The weather is kind of nasty here right now, so I'm mostly wearing my winter cap. Which looks cute too, don't you think? 




Please let me know if you give it a shot and what you think! 

xo xo Liz 


9 comments:

  1. Wow, I love it! Great way to do it for a show under a cowboy hat. I don't know how to keep my hair up snug with bobby pins, but I'm gonna get some and practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Amy!! Hope you like the way it turns out! :)

      Delete
    2. It worked out great! I did it when I got home and then spent the evening cooking and dancing around my kitchen... When my roommate got home, she commented on how cute it was.

      I have a hard time finding different ways to do my straight-wavy-parted-cowlicked hair. This works for my hair with a hat or without!

      You girls inspire me in so many different ways! Thank you! One of my goals for 2013 is to really start my blog.

      Delete
    3. Amy Lou, I love the mental image of you dancing around your kitchen!! I do it too, nothing better then a little kitchen dance! :)

      I'm so glad, thank you so much that means so much to us! DO IT!! Can't wait to read it! :)

      Delete
  2. I love this...so feminine AND functional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good!! I saw an old vintage picture last summer and was like, "This would look so cute under a hat!" :)

      Delete
  3. loved this, greetings from finland! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad!! Thank you Mariam and welcome to Buckaroo Barbie!!! :)

      Delete