Thursday, December 6, 2012

Life Lessons We've Learned From John Wayne

Yesterday, Adrian and I were watching McClintock while we were getting ready for A's show at the Roadhouse, in Santa Ynez, CA. And in the midst of talking nineteen to the dozen and quoting the entire movie, we got to talking about the life lessons we've learned FROM John Wayne, and we'd like to share them with you here.

Life Lessons We've Learned From John Wayne

  • When talking to your estranged wife about getting a divorce, it's better to not start the conversation with, "Let the rat killing commence," but instead use the more peaceful, "Let us open the discussion." (McClintock)
  • Never hire a hot cook. It has a tendency to backfire with your wife. (McClintock)
  • If the opportunity arises, go find your partner's future french wife in Seattle while he stays behind in Alaska and guards your gold mine. She will end up to be irresistible, wear low cut dresses and be the love of your life. (North To Alaska)
  • If someone calls you a one-eyed fat man, it is appropriate to respond with, "Fill your hands, you son of a bitch!!" and open fire upon their personages. (True Grit)
  • When caring for handsome strangers who have been shot and delirious for two days, it is important to wear a large apron, with bows and big pockets. (The Angle and the Badman)
  • When dealing with a foul tempered Irish woman that you're in love with and have a mind to marry, it is best to jerk her towards you and kiss her...preferably in a stout wind. (The Quiet Man)
  • Never apologize. It's a sign of weakness. (She Wore A Yellow Ribbon)
  • Always protect those you love, and stand up for what you believe in. (The Cowboys)
  • Take those younger and less experienced than you under your wing and treat them with respect and kindness. (The Cowboys)
  • If you've been shot off your horse by a wild haired woman, it is acceptable to throw her gun in the river. (El Dorado) 
  • Die with courage and before you do, fall in love with your landlady. (The Shootist)
  • It is acceptable to start a house-wrecking fist fight with your three brothers after your mother's funeral. (The Sons of Katie Elder)
  • When roping zebras from the front of a jeep, it's important to have a good driver. (Hatari!)
  • Always wear your gun, even whilst shaving. (War Wagon) 



Photo credit: fanpop.com

xo xo Elizabeth & Adrian 


7 comments:

  1. Hahaha LOVE this so so much!!! I have two favorite lessons to add to your list - they are more quotes but I love the idea behind them..."I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." from the Shootist and the whole speech McClintock makes to his daughter Becky about about two people in love and all that growing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you all enjoyed this post! We had so much fun giggling over it! :) And Elizabeth Martin, Adrian and I were basically sobbing over that speech last night...one of the best cinematic daddy/daughter talks of all time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this! Many of my "Father-Daughter Bonding Moments" are made up of John Wayne movies. Now that I'm moved out and going to school, weekends on AMC watching John Wayne (and many other classic western movies) are times that I treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so cute! Found this while trying to search for the line "...rat killin'.." to use on a business letter that I'm writing! Supposed to be working and got side-tracked reading the lines... well done! BethStopsMS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I love it that you found this Beth!! I love that line, I wish I could think to say this when I'm in an argument with someone! :) Thanks for stopping by our little corner of the internet! :)

      Delete