Friday, April 22, 2011

Champagne Thursday....Minus the Champagne

Hello Dolls!!

I know this is a late post, but I've finally come to admit that I just operate late at night. Not by choice really, but I do live with an artist and that's just the way we roll around here nowadays.

 So I'm relaxing after our late supper, cup of tea near by and the dogs sprawled out around me. I WILL go to bed soon!! Just one more thing... :)

Our mums gifted us with some organic ground beef the other day, and since this evening was it's last night here on earth before it went bad, and since we haven't had any in the longest time,  and since Venus was in line with Mars, I pulled out my mum's Bolognese sauce recipe and danced my way around the kitchen in heels to Grace Potter and the Nocturnals....Paris to be exact. Really good song in my book. Just thought I'd put that in here.

The mums got this recipe from an old lady on a visit to Rome....it rocks. The end.

 I feel like I should throw in a grazie or  prego for some reason. I'll try and refrain. I can't guarantee that there won't be any hand waving though.













So.

I was supposed to simmer that baby for three hours, but since I didn't even think about being hungry until 9pm....I did the American thing, which was leave it for 20 minutes and call it good. Actually it was. The resident artist ate three helpings, so it couldn't have been bad! In case you're interested, here's the recipe. Enjoy! (I just kissed my fingertips and threw 'em in the air....couldn't help myself.)

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, minced
1 small carrot, peeled and minced
1/2 celery stalk, minced
3/4 pound ground beef (we used 1 pound, but we're overachievers like that) :)
Salt
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup milk
Pinch of fresh nutmeg
1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes packed in juice, chopped fine, with juice reserved

Heat oil and butter in casserole or large saute pan. Add onion, carrot, and celery and saute over medium heat until soft, about 7 minutes. Start to feel hungry.

Add beef and cook just until meat looses raw color. Sprinkle with salt and add wine.
Take a swig yourself. Good job.
Simmer until alcohol cooks off, around 4 minutes. Add milk and nutmeg, and simmer until milk thickens a bit, about another 4 minutes.

Add tomatoes and half of juices. When it starts to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered, for 3 hours.
Or if you're like me and are hungry and can't wait, start your pasta and get dinner on the table!!!

This was a ridiculously long post....sorry Dolls! Does anyone else have any favorite pasta recipes? I know the lowly bolognese sauce is considered bachelor food, but if you mix carbs and tomatoes and hand me a bottle of white wine....sign me up baby!

xo xo Liz

2 comments:

  1. You're so amazing! I love your blog!!! Thanks for the recipie...im gonna go try it right away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE SOOOO AMAZING! & YOUR BLOG KICKS ASS!!! WAHOO GO BUCKAROO BARBIE!!!!

    ReplyDelete